Vietnamese Xieu Mai Meatballs in Tomato Sauce is a dish that can be eaten for breakfast or any time to the day. But I sure do love eating it as a breakfast dish.
There are multiple ways to serve Vietnamese Xieu Mai:
1. Serve the Xieu Mai meatballs in a bowl with some fresh and crunchy Vietname baguette. This is my favorite way to eat it for breakfast. If you want to to learn how to make Vietnamese baguette, click here.
2. Serve is as a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich with pickled vegetables, fresh cilantro and cucumbers. If you want to learn how to make Vietnamese pickled vegetables, click here.
3. As a dinner option, I usually serve it over a bed of steamed jasmine rice.
Whichever way you serve it, I can tell you it is always delicious. In Vietnamese cuisine, we do not have a lot of dishes that have a tomato sauce. This is one of the few southern Vietnamese dishes that have this savory and slightly sweet tomato based sauce.
The meatballs are steamed making this Vietnamese recipe a very healthy option for you. Give it a try! Make extra as this dish freezes up very well.
Vietnamese Xieu Mai Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 2 lbs Ground Pork
- 1 Piece Large Onion
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 TBSP Corn Starch
- 1.5 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce
- 3 Pieces Medium-size Tomatoes
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce 8 oz.
- 2-3 Pieces Green Onions
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tsp Cornstarch Mixed with 2 tsp cold water
- Add all ingredients to ground pork
- Mix by hand thoroughly
- Allow for a meatball mixture to marinate for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Form ground pork mixture into meatballs and put into a large bowl
- Bring water in a steaming pot to a boil
- Once water is boiling, add the bowl(s) of meatballs
- Steam the meatballs for 20 minutes
- While meatballs are steaming let’s start our delicious Tomato Sauce
- Chop green onions and tomatoes
- Sauté Green Onions until fragrant; this should take about 3-4 minutes
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for another 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic powder and sugar
- Add 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- Add ½ cup of water
- Simmer tomato sauce for 5-7 minutes over medium heat
- Mix 2 tsp of cornstarch with 2 tsp of cold water
- Add cornstarch mixture to tomato sauce to thicken up the sauce
- Add steamed meatballs
- Simmer meatballs with the tomato sauce for 10-12 minutes; make sure to cover each meatball with the tomato sauce
- Add chopped green onions and it is ready to serve