Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken is a stable in my mom’s kitchen and to me, it tastes like home. The lemony, minty, tangy and slightly citrusy flavor of lemongrass is the star of this Vietnamese recipe.
Combined with fish sauce (no Vietnamese recipe is complete without Fish Sauce!), some sugar and chili powder, the flavor combination is classic Southeast Asian: salty, tangy and slightly sweet – all at the same time.
Served this with steamed rice and some pickled or fresh vegetables. If you marinate the meat the night before, your dinner could be ready in less than 15 minutes.
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken | Gà Xào Sả Ớt
- 1 lbs Chicken Drummies | Chicken Thighs I recommend against chicken breast since this dishcooks on very high heat and the breast may come out dry
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric Curry Powder would be a good substitute
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1.5 TBSP Fish Sauce
- 3 TBSP Lemongrass
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Chili Powder more or less depending on your spice tolerance
- 2 pieces Cloves
- Mix chicken with all of the ingredients in a big bowl. Give the chicken a nice massage so that everypart of the chicken has a coating of yummy goodness.
- Let the chicken marinate for an hour. If you have time, marinating overnights givesit the most flavor.
- Heat up your pot to medium to medium-high heat. Add a few teaspoons of cooking oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken and all themarinade juice. Cook for 7-8 minuteswhile stirring chicken quiet frequently.