Loco Moco is a Hawaiian local favorite that you can probably find on any of the Hawaiian island in any restaurant. This dish screams comfort food. It is easy to make but the end result is astonishing.
The traditional version of Loco Moco includes white rice topped with Hawaiian’s favorite meat “spam”, a fried egg and some delicious gravy.
Over the years, there are many variations in regards to the meat used and the hamburger version is a very popular one.
For me personally, this dish is all about the gravy. I always sauté the shallots and the mushrooms in the same pan that I fry the patties up. That’s one of the secret to a tasty gravy.
Also, I love using mushroom seasonings to add additonal umami flavor to the gravy. If you don’t have mushroom seasoning, using beef broth would be delicious as well.
Now enough talking. Let’s get up some Hawaiian Loco Moco!
Ingredients for Beef Patties:
- 6 pieces Beef Patties 6 oz. each Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder to taste
Ingredients for Mushroom Gravy:
- 3 cups Water
- 3 TBSP Mushroom Seasoning
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 2 TBSP Ketchup
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 4 TBSP Light Soy Sauce
- 2 TBSP Cornstarch
- 2 pieces Shallots–medium size diced into small cubes
- 6-8 Pieces Mushrooms more or less to your liking
- 6 Pieces Fried Eggs Salt and Pepper to taste
- Season ground beef patties with salt,pepper and garlic powder to your liking.
- Slice mushrooms and dice shallots.
- Mix water with mushroom seasoning,sugar, ketchup, fish sauce and light soy sauce. Whisk and then add cornstarch and whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- Fry up the beef patties. I like to fry mine on medium to medium-highheat to give the outside a nice crust and the inside stays medium to mediumrare. This should take about 3-4 minuteseach side.
- Set fried patties aside. Drain off some of the oil from the pan.
- Use the same pan to Sauté the shallots. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk your sauce thoroughly to make sure the cornstarch is not stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Add the sauce to the shallots and the mushrooms. Cook gravy for 3-4 minutes until it has a nice thick consistency. Once done, set aside.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up.
- Start the plating with Jasmine rice. Then put a beef patty on top followed by a fried egg. Then pour a generous amount of the mushroom gravy over the entire plate. The gravy is what makes this dish absolutely delicious in my opinion.