In Vietnamese, the word BánhMì is derived from ”Bánh” which refers primarily to baked goods including bread. These Vietnamesebaguettes are deliciously light and crispy that is inspired by French Baguettes, a legacy from the French Colonization. But the Vietnamese BánhMì baguette differs in taste and texture. The Vietnamese version is a lot lighter and airier in texture on the inside. And the outside is lighter and crispier in texture.
If you are a big fan of bread, then you must try this Vietnamese baguette recipe! You will only need five ingredients, passion for trying new things, patience, then combine with the right baking techniques, and you will surely be able to create your Homemade Vietnamese Baguette!
My recommendation is to use Bread Flour in this recipe versus regular All-Purpose Flour. Bread Flour has a higher protein and gluten content. The high protein and gluten content will result in a nice chewy yet light texture. My preferred brand is King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour. But there are lots of great brands of bread flour readily available nowadays.
Vietnamese Baguette Bread Recipe | Bánh Mì Việt Nam
- 500 grams BreadFlour
- 8 grams Kosher Salt
- 6 grams Sugar
- 1 packet Instant Rise Yeast
- 350 ml Water room temperature
- Combine bread flour, kosher salt, sugar andinstant rise yeast and mix.
- Add all dry ingredients to standing mixer andcombine with water.
- Mix on speed setting #2 for a few minutes untilall dry ingredients are well combined. Let dough rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Now increase speed setting to #4 and knead doughfor 5 minutes.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead dough for another 5 minutes at speedsetting #4.
- Do the stretch test to make sure dough isready. If dough stretches withouttearing, then the dough is ready. Form the dough into round shape.
- Transfer dough into lightly greased bowl, coverwith kitchen towel and put in the oven with OVEN LIGHTS ON and let t rest for 60 minutes.
- Knead the dough by hand a little bit to release all the air bubbles.
- Form dough into round shape again, cover and putin the oven with OVEN LIGHTS ON for another 30 minutes.
- Dough is now ready for shaping. Divide the dough into 8 equals sizes.
- Punch / flatten each dough to release any airbubbles and then shape into finish size.
- Put on your shaped baguette on baguette orbaking tray. Cover with kitchen toweland put back in the oven with OVEN LIGHTS ON to rise another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take dough out of oven andpre-heat oven to 450 – 475 degrees Fahrenheit (depending how hot your oven )
- Once oven is pre-heated, lightly spray doughwith water and make a cut in the middle with a very sharp knife.
- Put in the oven. Spray some water into the oven before closing the oven door.
- Bake 20-23 minutes (depending on youroven). If your oven has uneven heatdistribution, turn the baguette half-way through the baking time.