If you have eaten at an authentic Chinese restaurant before, I am positive you have eaten Chinese Char Siu BBQ pork. It is absolutely one of the most popular Chinese dishes! We call it Xá Xíu in Vietnamese and traditionally serve it many different ways and they all are equally popular.
Char Siu / Xá Xíu can be served over steamed rice and a side of pickled vegetables. We also love to serve it on top of our beloved Vietnamese Pork or Seafood Noodle Soup Hủ Tiếu Mì. And probably the most well-known way to serve it is part of a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich. No matter how you serve it, it is going to be absolutely delicious.
The restaurant or the store-bought version of Char Siu BBQ Pork has this distinct red color. This coloration can only be achieved by using artificial coloring, unfortunately. Since I do not use any artificial coloring in my home-cooked food, the version does not have the same color.
But I promise you that the taste is equally delicious. The key ingredients to achieve its distinct flavor is the Five-Spice Powder and the Fermented Tofu. You can easily find both of these ingredients at any Asian grocery store.
I usually marinate 6-8 lbs of meat at the same time. After 24 hours of marinating, the meat that I am not eating right away, I freeze it up. This way, I can serve up Char Siu / Xá Xíu at home anytime my family feels like it! I hope you give this recipe a try!
Chinese Char Siu BBQ Pork Recipe | Xá Xíu BBQ Roast Pork
- 2 lbs. Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder (you want a cut with a little bit of fat)
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 3 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 TBSP Chinese Cooking Wine
- 2 TBSP Hoisin Sauce
- 3 TBSP Light Soy Sauce
- 1 cube Fermented Tofu and some of its liquid
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1 TBSP Water
- Add all of the ingredients to the Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder and rub the ingredients thoroughly over the pork.
- Marinate the meat for 24 hours!
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator approximately for 30 minutes so it has time to come to room temperature before putting it in the oven.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast the pork for 25 minutes on one side.
- Turn the meat over and roast the other side for another 25 minutes.
- Mix Honey with Water and brush it all over the pork after it has roasted for 25 minutes each side. Set the oven to Broil and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the meat over and brush the other side with the honey/water mixture and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, take the BBQ pork out of the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it. It will be super juicy!